Browsing from NT 4.0
don_mccall at hp.com ()
2003-12-01 17:14:29 UTC
Hi James,
One of the things that NT does different from WIN9x is that it attempts
to 'browse' using a null session. This typically means that SAMBA is
going to try to make the attachement for the 'null' username as SAMBA's
guest account (by default 'nobody').
On a lot of HP systems the 'nobody' /etc/passwd entry is set as
uid -2 and gid -2. These uid/gid values are invalid for samba, and you
will get messages that look like the following in your samba log files:

Username nobody is invalid on this system

I don't know that this is YOUR problem, but it's worth a quick
checkout...

Hope this helps,
Don
Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski
2003-12-01 17:14:29 UTC
Subject: Re: WINS browse sync!
Samba server WINS server
\ /
\ /
router--------------router-------multiple Winxx desktops
/ 111.111.10.0 111.111.2.0
/
Samba server
[global]
workgroup = MOMENTUM
netbios name = JUPITER
name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
wins server = 111.111.2.113
remote announce = 111.111.2.255 111.111.2.113
hosts allow = 111.111.10. 111.111.2.
[global]
workgroup = MOMENTUM
netbios name = PLUTO
name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast
local master = No
wins server = 111.111.2.113
remote announce = 111.111.2.255 111.111.2.113
hosts allow = 111.111.10. 111.111.2.
If you're using an NT PDC (I'm not) you probably don't want to use the
same OS level, preferred master, and domain master settings as I have.
I think the correct settings for use in conjunction with an NT PDC would
be: OS level=0, preferred master=no, domain master=no, local
master=yes/no (depending on which subnet PDC is on - 'no' if NT PDC is
on same subnet as Samba server, 'yes' otherwise). An NT PDC by default
acts as a browse master.
Problem is in that I need TWO WINS serwer.......

My networks is in TWO internet domains (and in WINDOWS domains too) - I
have no NT PDC.

Your solution for me is known (net b.b.b.b has over 10 subnets and remote
browse sync works inside them correctly) but how make it to work thru
a.a.a.a <-> b.b.b.b

Best Regards

* Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski *
* Administrator WSISiZ *
* Motto - nie psuj Win'9x one i bez tego sie psuja.... *
* Jak sobie poscielisz tak sie wyspisz *
David Lee
2003-12-01 17:14:30 UTC
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 11:09:50 -0800
Subject: Re: SAMBA_2_0 (recent CVS): smbpasswd and utmp errors
SAMBA_2_0 as of 1 mar 2000, 11:00 GMT
rh61 kernel-2.2.14.
[...]
make all
..
Compiling smbd/connection.c
smbd/connection.c:349: structure has no member named `ut_syslen'
make: *** [smbd/connection.o] Error 1
Thanks Giulio , I'm on it.
Jeremy.
As the person who began the utmp/utmpx functionality, I'm curious to know
a little more detail about this problem. It suggests an OS that supports
the utmpx format (as well as the earlier and ubiquitous UNIX format utmp),
but whose utmpx fails to include a "ut_syslen" member.

When I drafted it, the utmpx-enabled OSes to which I had access were
Solaris 2.x and IRIX 6.x (admittedly a small sample size of 2), both of
which had "ut_syslen". It sounds as though yours doesn't, posing an
interesting build-time detection-problem.

Perhaps you could send me the "utmp.h" and "utmpx.h" files from your
system.

Two related points for those preparing 2.0.7 for release:

1. Have you corrected the trivial declaration/definition discrepancy
of "utmp_yield()" that crept into the pre-2.0.7 release? (Reported
by a few poeple on this list.)

2. Have you examined the subsequent patch (on samba-technical) that, if
"utmp directory" is not specified, tries to ensure that the default
directory (i.e not "/") is used for utmp-like files?
--
: David Lee I.T. Service :
: Systems Programmer Computer Centre :
: Phone: +44 191 374 2882 U.K. :
David Lee
2003-12-01 17:14:30 UTC
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 11:09:50 -0800
[...]
make all
..
Compiling smbd/connection.c
smbd/connection.c:349: structure has no member named `ut_syslen'
make: *** [smbd/connection.o] Error 1
Thanks Giulio , I'm on it.
Jeremy.
Since then, I have had reports of other two or three other operating
systems also lacking "ut_syslen". Perhaps the way to address this (and
perhaps this is what you are doing anyway, Jeremy!) is to put an:
AC_DEFUN(AC_UT_SYSLEN, ...
(or similar) into aclocal.m4 so that "configure" can test this and pick it
up. (And, of course, rebuild the "configure" script before shipping.)

While on this subject, the very next line in connection.c is:
pstrcpy(ux.ut_host, host);
which is probably prone to overflow (though my knowledge of the "ptstr..."
parts of Samba is zero). Might "safe_strcpy(...)" be better? I have seen
"utmpx.h" files where ut_host declarations vary from 257 down to 64.

Hope that helps.
: Phone: +44 191 374 2882 U.K. :
stefano at sssup.it ()
2003-12-01 17:14:32 UTC
In caso io sia iscritto alla vostra associazione (di cui sono completamente
ignaro) fatemi sapere al piu' presto come fare a disiscrivermi e, se possibile,
interrompete il flusso di e-mail verso di me.
Ionut Gumeni
2003-12-01 17:14:32 UTC
subscribe
Steve Hitchner
2003-12-01 17:14:36 UTC
I can't get the smbmount utility to compile, I was wondering if any one
had any suggestions?

I'm running an Alpha XL 266 using a current linux kernel

thanks in advanced

steve

Stephen Hitchner
***@acm.org
Domenico Viggiani
2003-12-01 17:14:40 UTC
We have a large installation on a HP-UX 11.00 machine:
20 volumes of 90 Gb, with many, many millions of small files and
directories.
We are not interested in performance issues (not so many critical
connections).

Bye
Domenico Viggiani
Krzysztof Najdzionek
2003-12-01 17:14:52 UTC
subscribe samba Krzysztof Najdzionek
subscribe samba-announce Krzysztof Najdzionek
mudatsir
2003-12-01 17:14:54 UTC
Hello !
Can Samba sharing files mounted through NFS ?
If can not, should I install samba on every UNIX machines ?
If can, is there any special tricks ?

Thanks

Mudatsir
-------------- next part --------------
HTML attachment scrubbed and removed
Pär Andersson
Mudatsir
Bakken, Gunnar
2003-12-01 17:15:07 UTC
hp/ux 10.2

# cat README.SLH
whereis - locate source, binary, and manual page

program?
cc

whereis cc | more

cc: /usr/bin/cc /usr/ccs/bin/cc /opt/ansic/bin/cc /opt/softbench/bin/cc /usr/sof
tbench/bin/cc /opt/ansic/share/man/man1.Z/cc.1
Press Enter key to continue...

as root...
./configure --with-smbwrapper | tee configure.out

make | tee make.out

root - Thu May 11 08:24:37 CDT 2000
/users/source/usr_local_samba/samba-2_0_7/samba-2.0.7/source
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
File Selection Criteria:*
Makefile:"Makefile" Makefile Section:"smbwrapper "
Source Progarm:Not Set

---- Make Program ----

Choice
0. Quit
1. Select Makefile
2. Select Makefile Section
3. Select Source Program
4. Run selected Makefile Section
5. Make Program from Selected Source Program
6. Set default file selection criteria
7. Set file selection criteria
8. Set Default Makefile
9. Make Makefile
Choice?
4

Run selected Makefile Section

make -f Makefile smbwrapper
Do you realy want to do this?
Yes/No?
Using FLAGS = -O -Iinclude -I./include -I./ubiqx -I./smbwrapper -Ae -D_HPUX_SOU
RCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -DSMBLOGFILE="/usr/local/samba/var/log.smb" -DNMBLOGFILE="/u
sr/local/samba/var/log.nmb" -DCONFIGFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf" -DLMHOS
TSFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts" -DSWATDIR="/usr/local/samba/swat" -DSBIN
DIR="/usr/local/samba/bin" -DLOCKDIR="/usr/local/samba/var/locks" -DSMBRUN="/usr
/local/samba/bin/smbrun" -DCODEPAGEDIR="/usr/local/samba/lib/codepages" -DDRIVER
FILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def" -DBINDIR="/usr/local/samba/bin" -DHAVE_
INCLUDES_H -DPASSWD_PROGRAM="/bin/passwd" -DSMB_PASSWD_FILE="/usr/local/samba/pr
ivate/smbpasswd"
Using FLAGS32 = -O -Iinclude -I./include -I./ubiqx -I./smbwrapper -Ae -D_HPUX_S
OURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -DSMBLOGFILE="/usr/local/samba/var/log.smb" -DNMBLOGFILE="
/usr/local/samba/var/log.nmb" -DCONFIGFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf" -DLMH
OSTSFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts" -DSWATDIR="/usr/local/samba/swat" -DSB
INDIR="/usr/local/samba/bin" -DLOCKDIR="/usr/local/samba/var/locks" -DSMBRUN="/u
sr/local/samba/bin/smbrun" -DCODEPAGEDIR="/usr/local/samba/lib/codepages" -DDRIV
ERFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def" -DBINDIR="/usr/local/samba/bin" -DHAV
E_INCLUDES_H -DPASSWD_PROGRAM="/bin/passwd" -DSMB_PASSWD_FILE="/usr/local/samba/
private/smbpasswd"
Using LIBS = -lsec
Compiling smbwrapper/smbw.c with +z
cpp: "values.h", line 27: warning 2001: Redefinition of macro MAXINT.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1429: warning 618: Declaration of "stat64" not vis
ible outside this function prototype scope.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1431: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1432: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1433: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1434: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1435: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1436: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1437: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1438: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1439: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1440: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1441: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1442: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "smbwrapper/smbw.c", line 1443: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

real 1:54.8
user 24.0
sys 2.6
Press Enter key to continue...
big_samba at email.com.cn ()
2003-12-01 17:15:59 UTC
I am running samba-2.0.7 on freebsd-4.0,when I connect
to samba server from a win95,it complains "can't find
computer name...". I've tried to use IP address,the same
rusult.I saw the following error in log.win95 file.something like this:
user XXX authenticate failed.
But I do have XXX user in my smbpasswd file.And that is
the user I'm logging on to win95 machine.
I have the same setting in my linux box,and that works
well.
What's wrong with it?

thank you.

»¶Ó­ÄúʹÓà °ÙŒÒÉÌÎñµç×ÓÓÊŒþϵͳ http://www.email.com.cn
Welcome to E-mail business system
Yunjung Hyun
2003-12-01 17:16:01 UTC
Hi,

Samba server workstation was crashed down, and I had to reboot it.
It seems now working fine. But, I can't print out from PCs which are
clients. I ran 'nmbdclient' commands, but got a message 'connection to
server failed'. It seems like a NetBios problem, but no idea how to fix it
out. Please let me know how to fix this in details. I checked with web
site, it seems quite detailed. But, since I am a Unix beginner, hard to
follow it. Thanks much.

* Yunjung *
Michael Polek
2003-12-01 17:16:07 UTC
Hi,

I don't know if this will help, but I had a problem a while back where
my NT4.0 (SP3) Workstation was able to see my Linux box, but when
I tried to browse, I get network errors. If I removed one of the shares on the
Linux box, the NT box could browse it. Eventually I figured out that if
I removed all the COMMENTS, I could have more shares. My guess is that
the NT box was having some sort of buffer overrun. The Win95/98 machines
didn't seem to notice or care.

Hope this helps,
Mike
----------
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:47:00 -0400
Subject: SAMBA and the windows NT browse list
Hi Samba Team,
I am testing Samba software and I was looking for the instruction to install
to the UNIX box but I couln't find it at your web site. Can you e-mail me
the instructions or the address to get it on the web.
Sayyid Kamyar Izadi
2003-12-01 17:16:16 UTC
Dear Sir/Madam

There is 10 computers that connect to each other on the bus system(each copmuter has only on Network Card).
The OS of one Computer is Linux. Its IP is 192.168.0.120
The other computer's IP are
192.168.0.13, 192.168.0.12 and ....
and compters name are <FERDOSI>, <HAFEZ> and ...

The Domain Of NT computers is <RAHNEMA>

The Domain that i want Linux comes in NT browser is <LINUX>

The Linux hostname is <ATTAR>

I want NT machines can access my files on Linux Machine in their NT Explorer.

Now the parameters of smb.conf
should be what:

Buy Iranian Books at :
Click here -> http://www.IranBookShop.com
Luis Luna
2003-12-01 17:16:19 UTC
I have Samba up and running and sharing files, works great. But my problem
is sharing the printers, the box is RedHat 6.2, Samba is 2.0.7, the printers
are on HP Jetdirect Print Server cards. I can can print from the linux box
just fine to the printer(s). I can see the printer share from my NT box, can
map and connect just fine. But when I send a print job, the print file just
sit's in the spool directory on the linux box. I can issue a lpr command
from the console and send the file manually to the printer and it will print
fine. I tried searching the archives but I keep getting error messages from
the samba.org server about a page not found etc.. Any pointers?
My printer share from the samba conf file is
[hplaserplus]
path = /samba/spool/hplaserplus/
create mask = 2777
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
printer = hplaserplus

in my gobal sections (pertaining to printing):
print command = lpr -P%p -r %s

Any ideas?
Thanks
Luis Luna
andrew morgan
2003-12-01 17:16:19 UTC
Post by Luis Luna
[...]
You should probably use the complete path to lpr in your 'print command'
setting, as samba may not have the same environment settings as your login
shell.

Example:

print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s

Andy
Hawks, Steven L
2003-12-01 17:16:21 UTC
We are looking for another solution besides Samba, which will allow our
application developers using Windows 95/98/NT to access share on our Sun Box
running Solaris 2.6 operating systems. Our supervisor feels the Samba
installation process is more complex than what we really need.

Any suggestions?

Steven Hawks
NCR Corporation
IT Services - GAD Sales and Business Infrastructure
* 1529 Brown St., EMD/4, Dayton, Oh 45479
* * (937) 445-3946, fax 445-0375, voiceplus 622-3946
* ***@ncr.com