[Samba] Samba and OSX
Jim LaSalle
2003-12-01 18:54:25 UTC
How do I map OSX to Samba file shares? I'm not new to Samba but OSX is a
puzzle. I can get the Mac OSX to see the Samba server but not the
shares. Maybe I'm so hung up on the Windows "net use D: \\server\share"
syntax I can see the forest for the trees.

Thanks.
Marcel Beltz
2003-12-01 18:54:25 UTC
i use OSX too, i don't know how to browse a samba server, but i know to
conect a share, may it help's u. you have to press "command +k" then u
have to typ "smb://domain;***@samba/share". with jaguar it works
great. ( better than win xp ;)

marcel
Post by Jim LaSalle
How do I map OSX to Samba file shares? I'm not new to Samba but OSX is
a puzzle. I can get the Mac OSX to see the Samba server but not the
\\server\share" syntax I can see the forest for the trees.
Thanks.
---

marcel beltz

beltz.info email: ***@beltz.info
am mittleren moos 48 fon: +49 177 736 787 1
86167 augsburg

++

Post by Jim LaSalle
How do I map OSX to Samba file shares? I'm not new to Samba but OSX is a
puzzle. I can get the Mac OSX to see the Samba server but not the
shares. Maybe I'm so hung up on the Windows "net use D: \\server\share"
syntax I can see the forest for the trees.
Use the Go->Servers option, or something like that - I don't have my
iBook in front of me at the moment. When you do that, type the server
name, and connect to the server. To see the full list of shares, you may
need to click the 'Authenticate' button, and give a valid
username/password pair for the Samba server. Once you do this, the full
list of shares should be viewable via a drop down list. Once you pick
one of the shares and then click the 'Connect' button, it will be
mounted as a volume on your desktop.

Alternatively, you can use command line tools such as smbclient, and I
am sure that the 'mount' command has syntax for mounting an SMB share
into the /Volumes directory hierarchy on OS X.

I hope that helps..... like I said, I am running off memory here, but I
have mounted my Samba server shares many times on my iBook, using
Finder....
--
/-------------------------------------------------
\-------------------------------------------------
Jim Morris
2003-12-01 18:54:26 UTC

\-------------------------------------------------
--
/-----------------------------------------------
\-----------------------------------------------
Philip Edelbrock
2003-12-01 18:54:26 UTC
Command-K in the 'finder' (aka the desktop) or Go->Connect to Server
menu and then smb://servername will let you browse and connect. Or, for
unix-terminal freaks, you can use mount_smbfs (there is a man page for
it for usage details). Mounted shares will show up as an icon on the
desktop as well as in /Volumes/sharename. Oh, btw, you need encrypted
password support on the server for the keychain to remember your
passwords (this is a similar issue to WinXP's ability to not remember
plain-text passwords).

Use the help menu to dig up some info on how to connect if you need more
help. Also, Apple's web site has a support area with some related
documents.

OS-X still has some serious problems for network users, though. For
example, when connected to a SMB server, most non-ascii chars in
file/folder names get mapped to '_'. Yuck! Worst still, some chars do
not (like the cursive latin f [option-f]) which get written to the
server correctly but confuses OS-X when the directory contents are read
back... OS-X then invalidates the entire directory list causing all the
files and directories to disappear. Experiment and know these issues
before you deploy!

Apple still has some work to do... :'(

Phil
Finder....
Nicolai Krakowiak
2003-12-01 18:54:45 UTC
Post by Philip Edelbrock
OS-X still has some serious problems for network users, though. For
example, when connected to a SMB server, most non-ascii chars in
file/folder names get mapped to '_'. Yuck! Worst still, some chars do
not (like the cursive latin f [option-f]) which get written to the
server correctly but confuses OS-X when the directory contents are read
back... OS-X then invalidates the entire directory list causing all the
files and directories to disappear. Experiment and know these issues
before you deploy!
Apple still has some work to do... :'(
Phil
Hi Everyone,

I'm an engineer at Apple recently tasked with supporting Samba and
its related issues. I'd love to get feedback like this, especially
when we're doing something wrong. For those with an ADC account,
please file bugs. They really help decide how we dedicate resources
towards specific issues. For those without ADC account, feel free
to send me mail.

While I'm at it, a big thanks to the Samba team for all their hard
work.

nicolai
Engineering Peon, Apple Computer