[Samba] "NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE"
Donald Musser
2005-12-17 01:39:49 UTC
Hi everyone,

I'm using the online HOWTO manual in the "Quick Start" reference to try and
get a basic domain controller going. So I set up smb.conf, and testparm
checked out okay, I've started nmbd and smbd, but when I try to to run

session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE <-- I get this error

Any ideas about what's causing this? I can post any relevant info as needed.

-Myles
Michael Barnes
2005-12-17 01:54:53 UTC
I got that error when trying to login or access the Samba server from a
client who was not allowed in the [IPC$] section.

[IPC$]
path = /tmp
hosts allow = 10.143.0.0/16, 127.0.0.1, 10.159.0.0/16, 10.150.0.0/16
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

Be sure you are in this section to have permission to access the server.

Of course, there are other reasons to get that message, but this is the
one that pertained to me. At least it is someplace to look.

Also, try 'smbclient -L <servernetbiosname> -U%'.
If that works and 'smbclient -L <servernetbiosname> -U <username>' does
not, then it may be a user vs. share issue.

Michael
-Myles
Donald Musser
2005-12-17 02:54:18 UTC
Yeah, the smbclient -L localhost -U% command works fine and returns data as
I'd expect. I've also found that I cannot modify passwords for my defined
usernames. Here's what I get when I try.

[***@localhost samba]#smbpasswd -a username
New SMB password:
Re-type new SMB password:
Unable to open/create TBD passwd
pdb_getsampwnam: Unable to open TDB password (/etc/samba/passdw.tbd)!
TDBSAM version too old (0), trying to convert it.
TDBSAM converted successfully.
tdb_update_sam: Failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [mmusser] without a
primary group RID
Failed to add entry for user username.
Failed to modify password entry for user username

I get this error with and without the -a argument. Any ideas?

Also, I'm not using any logon scripts. Are they necessary? I was under the
impression they were only needed if you wanted to auto-mount drives on login
and things like that.

-Myles
-Myles
Eric Hines
2005-12-17 10:26:53 UTC
I think the command should be: smbclient -L <machinename> -U....

Eric HInes
Post by Donald Musser
Hi everyone,
I'm using the online HOWTO manual in the "Quick Start" reference to try and
get a basic domain controller going. So I set up smb.conf, and testparm
checked out okay, I've started nmbd and smbd, but when I try to to run
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE <-- I get this error
Any ideas about what's causing this? I can post any relevant info as needed.
-Myles
There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast
majority by adequate governmental action.
--Bertrand Russell
Mathew D. Watson
2005-12-17 23:45:19 UTC
Post by Donald Musser
Hi everyone,
I'm using the online HOWTO manual in the "Quick Start" reference to try and
get a basic domain controller going. So I set up smb.conf, and testparm
checked out okay, I've started nmbd and smbd, but when I try to to run
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE <-- I get this error
I recently got this message, and the solution in my case was to run (as
root):

# smbpasswd -a <username>

where <username> is a valid user account on the samba server.

Mat
Donald Musser
2005-12-19 20:53:08 UTC
I've tried that already. All I get is an error about being unable to open
passwd.tbd. I've checked the file and, although it exists, it is empty. Is
this supposed to be the case?

-Myles
Mat
Mathew D. Watson
2005-12-20 00:27:05 UTC
Post by Donald Musser
I've tried that already. All I get is an error about being unable to open
passwd.tbd. I've checked the file and, although it exists, it is empty. Is
this supposed to be the case?
-Myles
Hmm ... sounds like your tdbsam setup isn't quite right?

On my system both passdb.tdb and secrets.tdb are 131 bytes long (one
password stored); I don't know about a passwd.tdb. BTW, they're both in
/var/lib/samba.

Not to hijack a thread, but does anyone know how root can find out who
is in the samba password database if you use the tdbsam backend? For
system accounts I just look in /etc/passwd.

Mat
Post by Donald Musser
--
Mathew D. Watson
Eclipse Optics Corporation

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private,
confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.
Michael Barnes
2005-12-20 01:29:28 UTC
pdbedit is your tool. pdbedit -L will list the users. pdbedit -Lv will
give much more info. pdbedit -Lv <username> will give you data on a
particular user. man pdbedit for more.

Michael